14,000 Lives Dedicated to the Life Sciences
The impact of Alabama’s biotech industry can be measured far beyond the borders of our state, and will no doubt be felt for generations to come.
Biotech companies in Alabama have been responsible for discovering no fewer than seven cancer-fighting drugs currently in use; The HudsonAlpha Institute for Biotechnology is one of the nation’s leading human genome research bodies; and people come from all over the country for treatment at the University of Alabama at Birmingham, one of only 41 NCI-designated Comprehensive Cancer Centers in the nation. Alabama’s bioscience industry is thriving—and the results are life-changing.
- 800+ bioscience companies
- 14,000 employed in bioscience
- 623 bioscience patents awarded, 2009-2013
- Discovered 7 cancer-fighting drugs currently in use
- Discovered 6 cancer-fighting drugs currently in advanced testing
- 2nd largest research and technology park in the U.S. (Cummings Research Park)
- Multiple teaching hospitals across the state
Companies in Alabama
Here are a few of the Bioscience organizations who have found a home—and found success—in Alabama.
- USA Mitchell Cancer Institute
- Southern Research
There are so many factors that make Alabama such a great place for Bioscience companies. Chief among them are these invaluable partners: