A Cut Above the Rest
There are a few things Alabama has a true abundance of: skilled workers, national football championships, and forests.
In fact, at more than 22.9 million acres, Alabama’s forested land area is larger than the states of Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Jersey and Rhode Island combined. So it’s no surprise that forestry is the state’s second largest manufacturing industry, producing almost $13 billion in products annually.
Even with over 650 forest products manufacturing companies employing more than 47,000 people, there’s always plenty of timber to be felled; and we’re replenishing the forests much faster than they’re being harvested, with timber growth outpacing removals by 34 percent. There’s still plenty of room for Alabama’s forestry industry to grow.
- 22.9 million acres of timberland
- 3rd most timberland in the U.S.
- 650 forest products manufacturing companies
- 46,800 directly employed in the forest industry
- $13 billion in products annually
- Timberland diversity: 43% hardwoods, 43% pine, 14% mixed
- #2 in pulp production nationwide
- #3 in paper production nationwide
- 87% privately owned timberlands
Companies in Alabama
Here is a sample of the Forest Products companies who have found a home—and found success—in Alabama.
- Georgia Pacific
- International Paper
There are so many factors that make Alabama such a great place for Forest Products companies. Chief among them are these invaluable partners: